Monday, August 22, 2011

If At First You Don't Succeed, Go Get Drunk In A Corner

The problem with us perfectionists is that sometimes the pressure of doing something absolutely exactly right leaves us reticent to start the endeavor in the first place. That was certainly the case for the GMAT, which I had originally planned to take a year ago. I created immense, elaborate study plans. I talked a big game. But I kept putting it off taking the test. And I kept putting off even cracking my study materials. Life stuff got in the way. Family stuff. Work stuff. So I scheduled the test for some arbitrary date in the future. And then I rescheduled it for later. And then rescheduled it again. Long story short, I ended up somehow sitting in my padded cubicle in the very austere, very quiet Pearson-Vue testing center on Saturday morning clicking buttons frantically without having really studied at all.

When my score popped up on the screen, it was 640. What's worse was my split: 89th percentile for verbal and 50th percentile for quantitative. Although the verbal score is just fine, the quantitative leaves a lot to be desired. I'll need study (for real this time) and then retake the test. It's a disappointment, but it's mostly just frustrating because I know it is entirely my fault.

2 comments:

  1. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but considering the amount of effort you put in a 640 is fantastic.
    Look at the postive: this time you will put more effort into studying and your score will go up. AdComs want to see improvement. A 640 won't be a blemish on your score report unless your score decreases.
    Best of luck with studying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa. You're completely right, of course, and it's great to get a little bit of perspective on this all. I just need to put more effort in!

    ReplyDelete